If you have a crawlspace instead of a slab or basement, you need to make sure you are keeping it well-maintained. The space can get damp and lead to a lot of problems for your home! Maintain your crawl space to avoid problems by getting your crawl space encapsulated. Crawl space encapsulation can benefit your home in more ways than one.
What is Crawl Space Encapsulation?
Crawl space encapsulation is the process of completely lining your home’s crawl space in order to control its environment. The interior of the crawl space is lined with a type of thick, plastic vapor barrier. It’s purpose is to keep water, pests, debris and other unwanted things from getting into your crawl space.
Encapsulating your home’s crawl space will create an environment that is waterproof. Keeping humidity out can prevent problems from happening to the structure and interior of your home.
What Can Happen With a Poorly Maintained Crawl Space?
Maintaining a home’s crawl space may not seem like it is important. However, it can help you avoid a slew of problems.
Crawl spaces that are not properly taken care of can lead to issues in your home. Here are some of the problems you could encounter if you have a problematic crawl space.
- Rotting and Mold- Humidity that builds in a crawl space is an ideal place for mold and rot to thrive.
- Pest Problems- Rotting and moldy wood can attract unwanted pests like termites, crickets and carpenter ants.
- Unpleasant Odors- Odors from mold and mildew can make their way into your home.
- Uneven Floors- Crawl spaces that are rotting can start to sag. This can cause the floors above to become uneven.
- Cracks in Interior Drywall- If your crawl space has begun to sag, the walls attached to the sinking floor are pulled, causing cracks.
- Heightened Allergy and Asthma Symptoms- Poor air quality can make its way up into your home from the crawl space.
The Benefits of Crawl Space Encapsulation
By properly maintaining your crawl space, you can avoid a lot of problems. Crawl space encapsulation helps you take care of your entire home. You can prevent unwanted issues like rotting and mold, uneven floors, foul odors and more.
Ultimately, you are not just getting a dry crawl space, but the many benefits that come with it. Here are some of the benefits of crawl space encapsulation.
- Structure Integrity Improves- The soil that supports your home’s foundation stays dry which can help prevent structural problems.
- Save on Utility Bills- Your air conditioner will be able to work more efficiently without humid air in the crawl space.
- Keep Out Mold and Pests- Without moisture, mold and mildew no longer have an ideal place to grow. And pests attracted to dark, damp places and wood will not settle in.
- Avoid Unnecessary Repairs- Repairs that would have been needed from uneven floors or cracking drywall can be avoided.
If you have a crawl space, consider getting it encapsulated! Crawl space encapsulation can help you avoid unnecessary repairs, create a living space that is healthier and help you reduce the amount you have to pay on your utility bills. Contact Dayton's Pest Control for quotes, inspections and consultations. Work with professionals who are certified crawl space contractors today!